Friday, July 23, 2010

Behold, for I have conquered!

I decided long before we started with this list that I need to read more, there's just too many books I haven't read but feel like I should've. So, a couple of years back I trotted down to my local library and checked out some classics. Including Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. I managed to finish the book before it was due back but reading it was more a chore than fun; the book was just plain boring. After this I went on quite happily reading other stuff. About a year ago I was browsing through the classics section at a book store and came across David Copperfield by Dickens for a very low price. I thought to myself, what the hell, might as well give it a go. Man, I sure did not know what I had gotten myself into!

First the book sat on my shelf for quite some time, after all I had some other reading to do before that one. Then, last fall I started with it and last night I finally managed to finish it. I have been struggling through the 745 pages of utter boredom. It was just a battle all the way through: I would read a couple of pages, feel like I wanted to claw my eyes out and switched books, then wait a few days (/weeks depending on how horridly uneventful the read passage was) and tried again. I have to say there has never ever been a book that took more time to finish then this one!

Dare I say it? I hate Dickens! And especially his "masterpiece" David Copperfield. I couldn't have cared less about the characters who were plenty and most of them completely useless. How can it take so many pages to write this story when the main happenings are: my mother died, run away from stepfather, struggled to succeed in life, got married, wife died, got married again and lived happily everafter. I just don't get it. Could someone please explain to me why on earth should I appreciate the works of this guy??

I shall now revel in the fact that I finished the stupid thing and I will never have to pick it up again (no, I have no plans for a reread anytime soon). Then I will dress in black and sit on the couch and mourn the hours and days of my life that I'll never get back and were wasted on reading this.

3 comments:

  1. I applaud you, Hun! I still have that chore ahead of me, if for no other reason than for the fact that I have several Dickens on my shelf. Maybe the next time I break my leg and am confined to the sofa... Painmeds would tide it over nicely, no? haha

    The things we dress up in mourning for... Didn't we held a wake for the Snickers ice cream of yours once?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We most certainly did! Two pristine tubs of Snickers ice cream melted away when the idiotic son of my landlady decided to leave the freezer door open. I'm still mad at him for not even offering to replace the ice cream he murdered. Bastard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cheek of some people... Tzk.

    ReplyDelete