Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Teaser Tuesday

Teaser Tuesdays are a weekly book-themed meme, hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. The rules are as follows:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Open to a random page.
  • Share two (2) "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page.
  • Be careful of spoilers! Don't ruin the book to others by revealing important plot developments. (So the last words of a dying central character are probably not okay...)
  • Share the title and the author of the book as well, so that other Teaser Tuesday participants can look up the book and add it to their TBR list.
Here's our teaser for this week:
I waited until two o'clock in the morning and then, as arranged, made my way, carrying a candle, to the said room, pretending that I'd rung for him several times without result. My accomplice, who acts his parts superbly, put on a little scene of surprise, dismay, and penitence which I cut short by pretending to need some hot water and sent him off to heat it up. Meanwhile, the scrupulous maid was all the more embarrassed because the rogue had improved on my scenario by getting her to strip off to a state of undress perfectly appropriate to the season but hardly justified by the weather alone.

Les Liaisons dangereuses by Choderlos de Laclos, page 87

2 comments:

  1. Dangerous Liaisons is one of my favorite books and I've seen several movie and stage versions as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to this. If you wish to join us for a reread, you're more than welcome! We should be getting on with Laclos this or next week, depending on how quickly we wrap up Obama.

    ReplyDelete