Saturday, September 4, 2010

One night stand with Dan Brown: The Lost Symbol

While I'm fully aware that we're lagging behind because of my lazy reading, I opted to take a moment off Les liaisons dangereuses and read one of the books I picked up last weeks Friday at The Night of the Book: The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.

We're all allowed a one night stand then and now, right?

And really, that's what the book was. A fluffy, unhealthy episode of dwelling in your dark side and shallow desires. Kinda like an afternoon with a steamily hot Uruguayan footballer in a hotel room before returning to the real world. Only nowhere near so satisfying.

The Lost Symbol continued in the Robert Langdon series. And followed the formula of The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. Only, this time in Washington D.C. And the D.C. references, the history and the city itself was the best bit, the whole Masonic secret slash archaic wisdom slash supernatural rationality (oxymoron much??) was just so over the top that it was really difficult to read anything beyond bla bla bla into those bits.

I don't want to give the book away, especially since Madeline is borrowing my copy next week. But I'll tell you this: I, at the same time, didn't like the book and couldn't put it down. It was just so been-there-done-that from Brown, so similar to the previous books with Robert Langdon. (I quite liked Brown's Digital Fortress, after all, but that's because I'm weird and like math.) I guess we should take it as a sign of Brown maturing, that there was no hot young female in this book. The token hot chick was in her 50's or so, this time.

Shoe-wise, this was the tacky Jessica Simpson stiletto heel sandal you quite can't help liking, despite your better judgement. But, if you're looking for an entertaining fluffy one night stand, go ahead, go with Dan Brown!

1 comment:

  1. Finished it. Hated it. Worst of the Robert Langdon series. Honestly, I liked the first one (Angels and Demons), Da Vinci Code was a little over the top and this one was just waayy, overboard. Yep,I had to know how it all ended but I really could've done without the constant pausing to recollect some ancient writings and memories and whatnot. It was just plain annoying when in the middle of a high speed chase the hero has time to read the text on near by statues and ponder on his childhood memories. I got angry. I hope Brown stops with the conspiracy stories, kills off Robert Langdon and thinks up some new plot lines, I think we're all done with the Freemasons now. Oh, and ii, Digital fortress is my absolutely favourite of Brown's novels too!!

    ReplyDelete