Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Voting Wednesday, Sept 15

Voting Wednesday

We're hosting weekly thing (I hate the word meme) called "Voting Wednesday" where we make a voting ballot for each Wednesday and invite y'all to voice your opinion on whatever book related (or unrelated, we're not making any promises) issue we happen to pick.

So, here's the rules:

You form an opinion taking sides in the issue voted upon.

You voice that opinion on the comments, either as a short reply or by a link to your blog where you can make a stand.

Easy, eh?

So, the question of this week is:

Regarding paperbacks; creased spine and signs of reading and loving, or pristine condition?

In other words, how much of a book-condition nazi are you?

3 comments:

  1. Books are meant to be read. Expecially paperbacks. They're made to be carried around in handbags and to be read in cafés and buses, not in libraries. So in my mind paperbacks are supposed to look like they've been read. It's totally another story with rare out-of-print hardbacks and old books, that are meant to be kept in good condition so they're not ruined forever. But with paperbacks I'm not too fussy. Obviously I don't go out of my way to tear pages out and pour coffee on what's left but I don't mind getting the back all creased and the pages dog-eared (I'm trying really hard to quit doing that though) and obviously after being carried around in various handbags the book will get some bumps and bruises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madeleine, I absolutely agree. If you look at my shelves you can tell which books I've read. The spines of my paperbacks generally have some kind of creases. As for hardcovers if the sleeve thingy is missing its usually because I read the book and the paper was bothering the hell out of me.

    So what if a book gets a bit marked up, at least its not just sitting idly being wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you two on this one. A paperback should show the signs of being read. I don't really dog-ear the pages, mostly because I have a gazillion bookmarks (and yet end up using dollar notes as bookmarks, how's that for snob, by the way??).

    But as Madeline can testify after getting my copy of the Dan Brown book, it's pretty worn out. Haha.

    ReplyDelete