Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Voting Wednesday, Sept 22

Voting Wednesday

We're hosting weekly thing (I hate the word meme) called "Voting Wednesday" where we make a voting ballot for each Wednesday and invite y'all to voice your opinion on whatever book related (or unrelated, we're not making any promises) issue we happen to pick.

So, here's the rules:

You form an opinion taking sides in the issue voted upon.

You voice that opinion on the comments, either as a short reply or by a link to your blog where you can make a stand.

Easy, eh?

So, the question of this week is:

Do you pick your books based on recommendations or by what suits your fancy at the store?

In other words, what makes you pick up a book and read it? Besides Madeline telling you to do so.

2 comments:

  1. There's something to think about. I have hundreds, if not thousands of books I'd like to get read.

    Sometimes I get recommendations from a blog. Certain blogs I visit constantly for book ideas because I've learned that I have similar interests. Other times I'll add a book to my list just from browsing the bookstore online and something catching my eye. I'm usually pretty good about not going over board because I'll only buy books online with giftcards, unless its for school, that way I have a limit.

    My biggest problem though that gets me buying way more books than I ought to is when I start fliting around the actual store. Something catches my eye on every shelf of every section - with the exception of the learn your 5th grade math area. So, really just any random thing that floats my boat in the moment comes home with me to be read. It could be a description, a cover, a price... anything. I don't discriminate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself most often picking up books that I've heard of. It might be a review I've read, an ad I've seen, the title being mentioned in a movie/tv/other book or someone else mentioning it. But I guess most often I choose books based on other people's recommendations. I also might choose NOT to read a particular book just because someone I don't like or whose tastes I don't share recommended it to me. I do find I'm drawn in by a pretty cover. I have learned however that a witty title or a pretty cover doesn't add up to a nice read, so I try to avoid doing that... So, I'm a firm believer in recommendations. If you say it's brilliant, I'll read it, however if I don't agree, I might not take your advise again. Ever.

    ReplyDelete