Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Voting Wednesday, Sept 8

Voting Wednesday

We're hosting weekly thing (I hate the word meme) called "Voting Wednesday" where we make a voting ballot for each Wednesday and invite y'all to voice your opinion on whatever book related (or unrelated, we're not making any promises) issue we happen to pick.

So, here's the rules:

You form an opinion taking sides in the issue voted upon.

You voice that opinion on the comments, either as a short reply or by a link to your blog where you can make a stand.

Easy, eh?

So, the question of this week is related to the Moviethon of the upcoming weekend:

Do you like watching movies based on books you've read?

Is it movie or book first? And does it matter if you liked the book or not? Please elaborate at will.

2 comments:

  1. I usually want to read the book first, IF I'm going to read it. A two hour movie can't have all the aspects and events than the original book, so you tend to understand more about the characters' motivations and thoughts (and some things make a lot more sense) after reading the book first. I do think that more often the movie doesn't live up to the book, but then again I guess that's mostly due to unrealistic expectations. I do think it's interesting to see how the director has managed in bringing the book to the big screen (and I do enjoy the not so great adaptations too, making fun of them that is :D ). The more I have liked the book, the greater the chance that I'm going to hate the movie ('cause it's all wrong and stuff, not the way I imagined..). I do watch movies based on books I both liked and didn't, but there is a good chance that if I hated the book I'm not gonna bother watching the movie.

    So, yeah, I watch movies based on books, and sometimes I like them but more often I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually for the movies. I like watching movies based on books, but not because I think they tell the story well. After all, that's not their purpose. The movie is the interpretation of one person (the director) or several people (the makers of the movie) of the story told in book. Just like, if I'm asked to explain the book to someone I tell my interpretation of it.

    So things are bound to be different, as we experience things differently. The movie is not going to be a filmographic (is that a word?) version of the story in the book, but an interpretation of that story. Does that make sense?

    Of course sometimes you just can't help making fun of the movies, as they're crap. And there's no excuse to change important plot points.

    But yes, like you Madeline, I too like watching movies based on books. But after I've read it. Because the movie is an interpretation, an opinion, a reasoning of the original story.

    ReplyDelete