Saturday, October 9, 2010

Been around the blogs...

We're trying to think of new fun things for the blog. The books are advancing at a slower pace (mostly due to me, I admit that freely) than we though and lately it has seemed that all we post are Teaser Tuesday and Voting Wednesday posts. So I thought I'd try something else this time. If you have any ideas or preferences of what you'd wish to read or how we could improve the blog, please tell us! We're always looking for ways of improving.

There are a lot of book-related blogs we follow, and sometimes even comment. But I thought I'd share with you some of the thoughts I got while surfing through the blogs this morning. How's that for a new fun thing?

On the website of a Finnish TV channel MTV3 I stumbled upon a list of ten classics you should read, at the very least.
The list is as follows:

1. Don Quijote by Miguel Cervantes Saavedran (1605)
2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (1813)
3. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (1857)
4. Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (1862)
5. Crime and Punishment by F.M.Dostojevski (1866)
6. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoi (1875–1877)
7. The Master and Margarita by Mihail Bulgakov (1940)
8. 1984 by George Orwell (1949)
9. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (1952)
10. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (1967)
Now, I've read some of them (2, 6, 10), dropped in the middle of the book some (3, 4, 9) though more due to time than lack of interest, at least 7 is on our list and there are few we've discussed. Should we update, Madeline?

Matt at A Guy's Moleskine Notebook raised an interesting question of self-censoring. Do you care about the image and vibe you give out to the world by your book choices? Do you only mention to people the "smart" books you read and not the fluffy trash ones?

Allie at A Literary Odyssey blogged about her strategy for the 24-hour read-a-thon. I think I'm having a small crush on her husband now. What a darling he is!

Kylie posted about a project and website that immediately caught my interest: the PostSecret. It's an "ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a postcard." Check it out, it's touching, hilarious and a little bit scary at the same time.

While reading a post about Jude Deveraux's The Duchess at The Lit Connection my mind wondered off on a tangent (that's very common, believe me. That's how Madeline and I manage to carry on five different conversations at once. We do the same tangents.) on lines. T.Y. wrote that "Trevelyn was THE MAN by which I measured all fictional men" and I started thinking of The Line, and the one piece of writing that I have that I compare everything to: The letter from Captain Wentworth to Anne Elliot in Jane Austen's Persuasion. That letter, especially the beginning, and the line "You pierce my soul." has been my measuring stick to everything romantic and beautiful and heart wrenching. If you don't like it, or get the beauty of it, I don't want to be your friend.

4 comments:

  1. Les Miserables is my favorite classic of all time. I read almost anything, as long as it's good :), so I mention them all. I'm definitely not a literary snob, and am staying away from the Sookie Stackhouse series because I'm afraid (friends have described them as "literary crack" and I have a feeling that if I get sidetracked on them, all other books, even worthy ones, will be pushed to the side until I have finished every ... single ... one). I am going to read about the readathon strategy, since I was an epic fail this time and need to be prepared for April. The Postsecret is something I saw on "Law and Order" (I think) .. the postcard helped crack a case. And my mind is ALWAYS off on a tangent, as there's just so much I want to do and get done and so very little time to do so!

    Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love some of the stuff you've got going here.
    POSTSECRET. Can I tell you how much I love PostSecret. I don't have all the books, but I'm trying to save up for them. But for years I've gone to the website every Sunday to see the new secrets Frank puts up. Your right about it being touching. Those secrets have garnered several reactions from me over the years, but at the same time it is so real. That's what I love about it.

    The other thing I'd like to touch on, censoring what I read in public. That's a big hell no. The way I see it, I'm going to read what I want, when I want. If someone else doesn't like it or gets uncomfortable because there happens to be a half naked body on the book I'm reading, well look somewhere else. I don't feel the need to prove myself by showing the world only the books I read that make me appear to be smart. I'm here for me, not them. Bitchy as it may seem, its the truth.

    OK. I'm done ranting now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jewelknits: I have a feeling you'll fit right in here... Haha
    I haven't gone down the road of Sookie-books because, well, I hate vampire stories and I don't do crack. And because I am a snob, both literary and otherwise.

    Hannah: I have a feeling we need to discuss the whole self-censoring/reading in public more with Mads some more...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. I have read all of the Sookie books. I'll admit it. I don't do crack but a lot of the stuff I read lately is fluff. It's a nice break from the constant seriousness and lack of fun that is my life.

    And whenever you guys are ready to break bread over the self-censoring let me know. It should be interesting for sure.

    ReplyDelete