Thursday, October 21, 2010

Voting Wednesday, Oct 20

Voting Wednesday

We're hosting weekly thing (I hate the word meme) called "Voting Wednesday" where we make a voting ballot for each Wednesday and invite y'all to voice your opinion on whatever book related (or unrelated, we're not making any promises) issue we happen to pick.

So, here's the rules:

You form an opinion taking sides in the issue voted upon.

You voice that opinion on the comments, either as a short reply or by a link to your blog where you can make a stand.

Easy, eh?

So, the question of this week is:

Are you lured in by the cover?

In other words, do you find yourself drawn to some particular cover style? Do you have preferences as to the cover?

7 comments:

  1. I'm definitely a sucker for pretty things and am lured in by beautiful and/or interesting covers. However, I do take a look at what's inside too, looks is not everything after all. But, if I'm on the fence about a book, a pretty cover can tip the scales in it's favour, as well as an ugly one in the other direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not such a sucker for pretty covers, I liked them smart-looking. Haha

    Also, if I'm debating between two editions of the same book, I might spend more for the better looking one. Like, I don't like the blue Wordsworth Classics books but I do like the Oxford World's Classics, with the white covers with big picture.

    The layout of the pages, and the size of the text are also key. And the feel of the paper.

    As for chick lit, pretty is good. As long as it doesn't look cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mean pink and glitter with pretty... Like, the new Penguin Classics hardcovers are quite pretty. I nearly bought a few Jane Austen books and a copy of the Wuthering Heights the other day cause they had some new pretty hardcover versions (the kinda old fashioned look) in the book store. Have you seen those by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The different colors with gold lines? Those ARE pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And they look smart, too! Always a plus. I mean, we're smart enough to get away with a silly-looking books, but we have to admit that not everyone is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty covers...

    While I have to admit to being lured by a cover more than once while browsing the web or the bookstore, in the end I don't really care. If there are different editions of the same book on the shelf I really have to admit that I go for the cheapest one, a consequence of being a broke college student. Getting the cheap copies means more books in the budget.

    So, yes, while a cover can lure me, what lures me most is price.

    ReplyDelete