Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Voting Wednesday, Oct 6

Voting Wednesday

We're hosting weekly thing (I hate the word meme) called "Voting Wednesday" where we make a voting ballot for each Wednesday and invite y'all to voice your opinion on whatever book related (or unrelated, we're not making any promises) issue we happen to pick.

So, here's the rules:

You form an opinion taking sides in the issue voted upon.

You voice that opinion on the comments, either as a short reply or by a link to your blog where you can make a stand.

Easy, eh?

So, the question of this week is:

Electronic readers, yes or no?

Have you tried? Are you interested? Can you see yourself going all high-tech on books? Elaborate at will. Debate if you can.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't tried one so I can't say I don't like them but I am mighty suspicious of them. My day job means sitting on the computer for eight hours per day so I'm not really jumping up and down about the idea of reading more stuff in electronic form. And I like my books, I like to carry around a book in my purse, they're pretty and colourful and look like they've been read. Electronic reader seems just so cold and impersonal and professional. But as I said, I have never tried one so I can't say I hate them, yet at least...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as it happens, this question was inspired by the fact that I got an electronic reader on a loan yesterday. I wanted to try them, because I too was skeptical on staring at the screen all day and then some. But the screen is nothing like a computer screen! It's really easy to read and comfortable on the eyes.

    I have liked the experience so far, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to go all the way. At best I could see myself having duplicates of books: physical book and the e-book for travel. 'Cause it is awfully tempting to be able to cram 50 books into one gadget. Think of the roadtrip, Mads!

    So I guess I could see myself using one as an additional feature for my normal books, but no, I don't think I'd ever switch completely. I'll be reading Uncle Tom's Cabin on the e-reader, though, so I might have something further to say after that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, it's me, Ms. Tardy to the Party. So electronic readers... I don't actually have one of the fancy little hand held doodads, yet, but I do have a bunch of different eReaders on my computer.

    While I am tempted to actually purchase one of the B&N Nooks I am quite content with my hard copy books to read and my computer eReader as a back up.

    I could never switch completely to an eReader, I just like the feel of holding an actual book more than staring at a screen.

    ReplyDelete