Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Teaser Tuesday, Nov 16

Teaser Tuesdays are a weekly book-themed meme, hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. The rules are as follows:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Open to a random page.
  • Share two (2) "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page.
  • Be careful of spoilers! Don't ruin the book to others by revealing important plot developments. (So the last words of a dying central character are probably not okay...)
  • Share the title and the author of the book as well, so that other Teaser Tuesday participants can look up the book and add it to their TBR list.
Here's our teaser for this week:
"One day, I asked you what you were meant to be doing with a fraction you were staring at. 'I've got to find the common denominator,' was your knee-jerk reply. There was only one fraction, so only one denominator, but you stuck to your guns: 'I've got to find the common denominator.' I pressed you further: 'Think about it, Daniel, there's only one fraction, so there's only one denominator.' You lost your temper: 'But that's what the teacher said: Always reduce fractions to their common denominator!'"
School Blues by Daniel Pennac, p. 9-10

8 comments:

  1. Wow. That intrigued me so much I had to go find out more about the book. Looks very interesting. My Tuesday can be found here

    http://kyliesreads.blogspot.com/2010/11/teaser-tuesday_16.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was doing fraction and percentages with my son the other day!

    My teaser comes from The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting. Is this fiction or non-fiction?

    Here's our TT for this week:
    http://ourstack.blogspot.com/2010/11/teaser-tuesday-gideons-gift-and-dont.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!! Well, some people just aren't good at math.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aahhh fractions. I was a math tutor at college for a few years and I know the frustration. Me I love math :) You can find my teaser at The Bookish Snob

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're all for math around here. Love the stuff.

    The book is non-fiction, but not in a typical way. It's based on the author's growing up (the 'you' in the quote was the author, Daniel Pennac, doing fractions) and being a dunce in school, then becoming a teacher. Great read for anyone who is or has ever been a student, a teacher or a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol, takes me back to school.
    My teaser is at e-Volving Books
    This week, I started a new feature - spotlighting bloggers with ereaders, and have an author-sponsored Kindle giveaway!

    ReplyDelete