Thursday, November 11, 2010

What Should I Read Next?

I was whining and complaining to ii that I've got nothing to read, since all the books I own that I haven't read yet are books from our list. And since I'm already ahead of ii on the list I have to pace myself in order to not finish the whole list two years before her. So, what I need is more books. Perfectly logical, no?

So to help a gal out, ii informed me about this book finding thingy she'd read about in InStyle, "What Should I Read Next?". You're supposed to type in an author or a book title and the finder will then suggest books for you (apparently based on what you typed in the search engine). I'm sure this will be helpful to someone looking for new reads but, I wouldn't be me without giving you my unsencored opinion on it.

So off I went. First I tried Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, since that's a book I'll never get tired off. First suggestion was Stephenie Meyer: The host. Do I need to say that I thought this thing is full of crap already at this point?? So no, I'm not a big fan of vampire stories, unless it involves shirtless Alexander SkarsgÄrd or Ian Somerhalder. (And after googling this I now know that The Host doesn't involve vampires but aliens that call themselves the Souls. Oh well, tomato tomahto, doesn't sound any better than the Twilight crap...) Other hits included titles that made sense but unfortunately I'd already read or are on the list; other titles by Austen, titles by Gaskell, Alcott, L.M. Montgomery, Hawthorne, Shakespeare, Bronte...

And then there was the weird and weirder titles. Here's few of the gems offered to me. Ellen Schreiber: Vampire Kisses 2 - Kissing Coffins, because I just love vampire stories and of course it makes absolutely sense to begin with the second book of the series. Dr. Seuss, Theodore Geisel: Fox in Socks (Beginner Books), of course, beginner books is the next step after Austen. Carrie Vaughn: Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand (Kitty Norville, Book 5), again, what's with the sequels, why would anyone begin with book 5? (I'm not even gonna start with the title, it sounds too disturbing.) Kerrelyn Sparks: Vamps and the City (Love at Stake Series, Book 2), please don't tell me this is some vampire fiction inspired by the Sex and the City??? And of course, Sharon Osbourne: Sharon Osbourne Extreme: My Autobiography, goes right in there as well, she's British too you know, so makes sense!

I'm not discouraged this easily, so I tried again with Life of Pi by Yann Martel. And what were the results? Dr. Seuss, Theodore Geisel: Fox in Socks (Beginner Books), Sharon Osbourne: Sharon Osbourne Extreme: My Autobiography, Stephenie Meyer: The host and Austen AGAIN. There were some new gems in the bunch too, such as Meg Cabot: The Princess Diaries: Give Me Five (The Princess Diaries S.) and Gordon Neufeld, Gabor Md Mate: Hold On to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers.

I was feeling a little discouraged after my second attempt but third time's the charm so with my third attempt I typed in Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, a book I absolutely adored. The first two suggestions were Stephenie Meyer: The host and Sharon Osbourne: Sharon Osbourne Extreme: My Autobiography.

I'm thinking I'm done now with this experiment so please, pretty please, all you humans out there, suggest good books to me that involve no vampires or aliens. Thankyoueverso.

11 comments:

  1. As an idea I really like that. It's like Genius on iTunes. BUT, if it keeps pushing the same few titles for everything and isn't really working... I'm disappointed at InStyle more than anything else! Why would they endorse such a crappy site??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to think that I just chose bad books or something. I'm not too convinced though, so not trying again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hun, I've told you this before: It's not you, it's them.

    Haha. Couldn't resist that one... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. THEY had also misspelled Lady Chatterley's lover (Chaterly's). I'm not impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nor should you! Seriously! Pfff.

    Forget that site and go buy that Toews book I told you about. Any of them. They're all good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahaha! I love this post as much as that search engine loves Sharon Osborne. Too funny. I'm going to read through some of your reviews and see if I can come up with any suggestions for you that you might enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay well, after perusing I'm going to recommend my two favorite authors for you to check out if you so wish: Alice Hoffman (magical realism with a hint of mystery, try The River King) and Carol Goodman (literary mysteries, try Arcadia Falls or The Drowning Tree). Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, just to get it out of the way, the Kerrelyn Sparks books (two of which I have read) all have titles like that, shes basically just doing the whole play on words thing with her titles.

    As far as recommendations, when I'm looking for something new to read I usually browse goodreads or shelfari for reccomendations based on my 'library.' Its fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alayne: Alice Hoffman wrote the Practical Magic story, right? The one where there's Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman and the lime and coconut -song in the movie?? And literary mysteries sound cool. Mads, I want to borrow your copy!

    Hannah, goodreads and shelfari only work if you HAVE a 'library' there. We're not quite nerdy enough for that. We (and that's the royal we, actually) only have an excel-file. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I have tried that before as well with equally random results. Frankly I think there are only 20 books that they recommend! Although I don't know you I thought I would suggest two books. No vampires or aliens, but everyone I have recommended them to loved them.
    The Exception by Christian Jungersen
    The Art of Murder by Jose Carlos Somoza
    I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for the recommendations, I will be sure to look them up as soon as I have the chance. And will report back after reading them, so beware :D

    ReplyDelete