Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Teaser Tuesday, Dec 7

Teaser Tuesdays are a weekly book-themed meme, hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. The rules are as follows:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Open to a random page.
  • Share two (2) "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page.
  • Be careful of spoilers! Don't ruin the book to others by revealing important plot developments. (So the last words of a dying central character are probably not okay...)
  • Share the title and the author of the book as well, so that other Teaser Tuesday participants can look up the book and add it to their TBR list.
Here's our teaser for this week:
He pushed his two feet together and shot his right arm into the air before clicking his two heels together and saying in as deep and clear a voice as possible - as much like Father's as he could manage - the words he said every time he left a soldier's presence.

'Heil Hitler,' he said, which, he presumed, was another way of saying, 'Well, goodbye for now, have a pleasant afternoon.'
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne, p. 53-54

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I've heard wonderful and sad things about this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam: Yep, it is one wonderful book, and very sad. Take my advice and don't read the ending in any public place. I finished it on the plane, the business man next to me looked very uncomfortable while I tried my hardest not to bawl my eyes out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I've heard this one is a tearjerker. Here's my teaser from Across the Universe, and I've got a Christmas giveaway, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this before but it definitely sounds interesting! Here's my teaser

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only heard good things about this book.
    Great teaser. thx for sharing.

    http://semicrazed.blogspot.com/2010/12/teaser-tuesday-9.html

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no. That could be very, very bad or very, very funny, or both. Great teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is my teaser from Witchgrass: A Pipe Dream by Dave Wilkinson (Page 1):

    Most gardeners hate witchgrass. Of all weeds it is one of the most persistent and adaptable. Any small piece of rhizome left in the soil can become an aggressive plant ready to take over the plot. Witchgrass is hard to pull. Roots are deep, and break off easily. Any part left in the ground will grow again. Farmers say the species isn't even good as hay, not as good as timothy or alfalfa. Some call it quickgrass.

    Early New England colonists blamed evil people for this garden invader. In the seventeenth century villagers would speak this way:

    "The surly woman living alone on her dead husband's estate. She goes into the woods and consorts with the Devil. Signs his book. Fornicates with him. Eats mushrooms. She and the Devil send witchgrass to harass the virtuous and the Godly. Let us hang this witch and seize her rich farm."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard of this book, looks interesting though. I hope that you are enjoying your book. Check out My Teaser for Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband and I both liked this book a lot! It's phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete