Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Voting Wednesday, Dec 15

Voting Wednesday

We're hosting weekly thing (I hate the word meme) called "Voting Wednesday" where we make a voting ballot for each Wednesday and invite y'all to voice your opinion on whatever book related (or unrelated, we're not making any promises) issue we happen to pick.

So, here's the rules:

You form an opinion taking sides in the issue voted upon.

You voice that opinion on the comments, either as a short reply or by a link to your blog where you can make a stand.

Easy, eh?

So, the question of this week is:

Do you set reading targets?

Do you set targets for your reading, such as a given number of books or a list of titles you must complete in the next year or so? Do you even keep track of your progress, in terms of number of books read or titles off your TBR pile?

4 comments:

  1. Yes. I usually have a goal number of books to read for the year. I have never actually achieved the goal I set for myself but I improve each year. For example, in 2009 I aimed to read 50 books and I only reached 45. But, in 2010 I had a goal for 75 and I'm at 59. Maybe for 2011, I should try for 100 and maybe read 90??

    Since I became a member of LibraryThing about 2 years ago, I meticulously keep track of the books I read especially with regards to reading dates and how many times I've read a book.

    The yearly challenges hosted by websites also help to focus on a particular set of books in your TBR pile in a fun way.

    Thanks for asking!

    -Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to answer this question with a kind of.

    I do join certain reading challenges and set goals for myself, but if I don't complete them all it's not the end of the world. I don't want to let a reading challenge get in the way of enjoying my reading experience because I'm too busy stressing out about a certain number of books. In this way my goals are set pretty loosely.

    That being said, I do keep lists of everything I have read and would like to read because honestly, who doesn't like a good list?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I regard 2-3 books a week as typical for me, though I don't have a yearly goal. I prefer my reading, like everything else, to be unforced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I guess it's rather obvious that we've got a target...I think setting targets helps when trying to tackle the books you want to have read but might not necessarily be too excited to actually read. Also, I love lists, so listing books that I've read and want to read is something I consider fun.

    ReplyDelete